Re: Q to both: release date

On 2017-04-05 10:18, Chris Lamb wrote:
Dear Lucas,

is there something that you would like to stress about the release
process or the upcoming release?

I think I would highlight that these indeed *are* outside the scope of
the DPL, implicitly stressing Debian's decentralised nature; this structure makes Debian unique and very attractive for all sorts of use-cases so we
shouldn't be justifying or apologising for it.

It is true that Debian is decentralized but it is also true that subjects are
handled in a transparent way. So any project member familiar with teams'
processes is able to find references online and give an idea on how things
are going on. This can be done without stepping on someone's toes.

So based on that, it becomes even more interesting to give a point of view
from an outsider since it might give others a few interesting pointers:
- how Debian judges the quality of its releases, which metrics are used
- what are the most important components and milestones of a release
- what is the release process
- what kind of tools Debian is using to follow progress of the freeze

It is not necessary to make a detailed description of each tool but it helps
many people to have this overview and be able to dig into each subject
autonomously. I believe such a report helps others to understand our work
and potentially where they may contribute.

Doing so, one should remember to not give any conclusion or anything that
looks like a decision and must refer to the Release Team for an official
position/statement.

I think these things are more important and more interesting to communicate than a laundry list of version numbers of the major software packages that
we plan to release with.

I think lucas was not asking for the content of "What's new" section of the Release Notes. My understanding is that he was more interesting in our way to evaluate progress of a subject with an external point of view. Asking teams about status of a subject is a way, but being able to make our own point of view before engaging in a discussion can also be helpful and gives us (maybe) a different perspective. This can be summed up in a single point: understanding how teams work. It is not obvious since we have different kind of teams (core, development, translation, communication, project management, event organization,
etc…). Each kind of team has its own workflow and set of tools.

Regards,

--
Mehdi