Re: Question for DPL candidates: Teetotaler outreach

Steve Langasek writes ("Re: Question for DPL candidates: Teetotaler outreach"):
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 07:31:44PM +0100, Chris Lamb wrote:
> > However, moderating the atmosphere so that non-drinkers do not
> > feel like they are unwelcome, perhaps by curbing excess in some of
> > the drinkers, might be the key here.

As someone who likes a drink, I endorse this latter point.  Being
sober around people who are actually drunk can be quite tiresome.

> As DPL, what standard will you use to determine that some developers are
> drinking to excess?

I don't think Chris meant that he would be issuing ex-cathedra
denunciations of bibulous individuals, or that _someone else_ would be
curbing people's excesses.  I read it as an exhortation for people to
curb their own excesses.

The DPL has a lot of social legitimacy.  That social influence can be
used to encourage people to behave better.

Ian.