Re: Q to both: facilitating meetups

Hi zack,

On 31/03/2017 10:29, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 01:44:59AM +0200, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
>> Hope this answers your questions.
>
> So, here's a straw man for you: considering the roadmap failed to
> materialize during a 1-year term, how confident you are it will
> materialize during a second term?

Very. :-)

More seriously… I think I've a done a fair bit of promotion around
this program (and I am sure it is still needs some more efforts).
The concept of the roadmap is similar to release goals. The latter
is well known to project members. So I do not expect them to reject
it. The most difficult point with the roadmap, IMO, is to create the
right team which would take care of this activity in the long term.
In order to not put this idea at risk, I intend to work on this myself.

> And given you seem to argue that it did not materialize during the first
> year because it was a "leading to a release"-year (which is a sensible
> argument, IMO), how periodically do you think the Debian project will
> manage to update such a roadmap in the long run? Once per release cycle?

All roadmap items will not necessary be bound to a release. So the rhythm
of the roadmap will not follow release cycles. It is reasonable to think
that we will be able to do an annual review of the roadmap (i.e. a
report on the progress of each item, an opportunity to include new items
or to drop a few, a call for help for a few items that we need to boost).
During freeze periods, the roadmap team can publish a specific report about
items implemented during the development cycle and the ones that might
need a little push to make it in the current release if still feasible.

--
Mehdi