Re: Q to the candidates: GPLv2 system library exception

Dear Florian,

> the more pressing example is libgcc (the compiler support library part
> of GCC), which was upgraded to the GPLv3 some time ago.  libgcc is
> mandatory on some architectures, but the GPLv3 is incompatible with
> the GPLv2 (under which important software such as Git and OpenJDK are
> released).  It is unclear whether the GCC run-time library exception
> restores GPLv2 compatibility.

Thank you for bringing up this important issue; these complicated
issues of GPL compliance are not as widely known as they should be.

My response as DPL candidate is that whilst I would agree that the
situation needs addressing in some way, I don't believe any decision
should fall under the scope or influence of a Project Leader, modulo
ensuring that any discussion does not get "stuck" or to act as
liason with outside parties for their expertise, experience or opinion.

(Indeed, I would worry that expressing my "personal" opinion on this
particular issue in the context of -vote would be misleading at best
and possibly even counterproductive. I hope this doesn't come across
as evasive.)

Regards,

--
      ,''`.