New amdendment proposal (Re: Proposed GR: Acknowledge difficulty of declassifying debian-private)

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 09:07:45AM +0000, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 09:55:52AM +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> > > This message fits your description ("the author is quoting only his or her own
> > > text"), and so it would be allowed *for anyone* to declassify it, without my
> > > permission.
> >
> > Are you saying it should be 's/quoting/declassifying/'?
>
> No, my point was that "the author" seems to refer to the person who wrote the
> email on -private, not the person who publishes it.

To me "the author is declassifying only his or her own text" is clear.

If the author is the person that wrote the email(s), then they are
declassifying only their own text. If the author is some other person,
then they are not.

> But given your rationale for the clause (which I agree with), the clause as is
> or with your change wouldn't be enough: you want the person doing the
> declassification to not need to explicitly consent to the declassification of
> their own parts.  That is also true if there are parts of other people
> declassified.  Hence my suggestion in the previous email.

Honestly I can't get my head properly around the problem that you are
trying to describe (not saying that it doesn't exist) so the following
might not make sense. If it doesn't, then I give up and I will withdraw
this new proposal and someone else can take over.

This is a new proposal which supersedes my previous one
<[🔎] 20160920165427.oeiaxkms7e63bao4@nightingale> (that proposal is
withdrawn).

  2. There shall be no declassification of any portion of the
     debian-private archives, except in the following circumstances.
     2a. Participants may declassify their own material.
     2b. Participants may declassify the material of others where
         consent has explicitly been given by the authors of all of the
         material being declassified.
  3. Participants are reminded to use -private only when necessary.

Thanks,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@debian.org ]