Re: Proposed GR: Repeal the 2005 vote for declassification of the debian-private mailing list

On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 11:27:31AM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> * Whatever else people come up.

I suggest to just repeal the 2005 GR, so we don't have any rules on
declassification of debian-private by GR. I suggest we rely on common sense
instead: The part "-private" in debian-private should make clear (without the
need for a GR) that the project should treat the contents of the list private,
regardless of the potential public value of what's written on debian-private.
Anyone reading something of potential public value on debian-private can always
request the original author for permission to quote in public. Note that the
original author is the only person who can fully assess how private the message
was, since personal limits differ and the relevant privacy aspects may not even
be explicitly mentioned in the message.

Which is why I seconded this GR proposal.

I would also second the GR proposal without article 2, but I think it's good to
include it so the GR proposal may win some more votes from DDs who want
debian-private to be used for truly private stuff only, and have Debian related
stuff discussed on the public mailing lists.

Regards,

Bart Martens