Re: Amendment to Proposed GR: Declassifying parts of -private of historical interest

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 10:57:15PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 09:44:59PM +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 01:17:24PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > > 2. Debian listmasters and/or other individuals delegated by the DPL to
> > >    do so are authorized to declassify excerpts of -private of historical
> > >    interest by any process which provides sufficient opportunity for
> > >    Debian Developers to object by GR prior to declassification.
> >                                  ^^^^^
> >
> > This barrier is too high, IMO. I would prefer it if "by GR" were
> > removed, so that the listmasters can come up with their own procedure
> > with whatever objection method they think is appropriate.
> >
> > (GRs are, of course, always going to be on the table regardless.)
>
> Right, so I'm not sure I understand your objection here. The only
> process I can imagine that would *not* provide "sufficient opportunity"
> as proposed by Don, is clicking a button that would immediately make all
> the archives public, without any warning whatsoever. Any process that is
> announced even just a few days before being enacted would certainly
> match my barrier for "sufficient opportunity".
>
> So can you maybe clarify your worry here?  (I'm asking because I'm
> potentially interested in sponsoring Don's amendment.)

Sure. Sorry if this is a bit like rules lawyering - I didn't anticipate
your reply. :)

The words "by GR prior to declassification" say, to me, that listmasters
are only allowed to come up with a procedure that allows DDs to object
by a GR, and not in some other way.

From what you're saying, I think you read it as saying that the
procedure *itself* is the thing which is presented and may be overturned
by a GR. I think that's reasonable - although I would hope that
discussion short of a GR would be enough.

Given your interpretation, and without getting too pedantic, maybe
something like the following is clearer (or maybe not).

  2. Debian listmasters and/or other individuals delegated by the DPL to
     do so are authorized to declassify excerpts of -private of
     historical interest. Before any declassification takes place, the
     procedure for declassifying posts must be published. This procedure
     must set out how affected individuals can object to specific
     declassifications, and it must be presented to the project with
     sufficient opportunity for discussion before any declassifications
     take place.

Iain Lane                                  [ iain@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@debian.org ]
Ubuntu Developer                                   [ laney@ubuntu.com ]