Re: Proposed GR: Acknowledge that the debian-private list will remain private

Hi Kurt,

* Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> [2016-07-16 20:52:03 +0200]:

> On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 04:46:04PM +0200, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> > * Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> [2016-07-08 16:21:32 +0200]:

> > > What does this mean for messages to private between the 2005 GR
> > > and this GR passing?  Could you be more explicit about it?
> >
> > The GR doesn't mean anything for messages that have been sent to -private,
> > actually. It just removes a process that has not been enacted for 10 years, and
> > won't be in the future.
> >
> > I would probably accept an amendment making the title of this GR "Acknowledge
> > that the current process for debian-private declassification won't be enacted,
> > and repeal it." or something more English.
> >
> > > (I'm also not sure what the situation before 2005 really was.)
> >
> > Me neither. In my interpretation of our current foundation documents and
> > regulations, repealing the 2005 GR means that the listmasters are now empowered
> > to do whatever they wish with the debian-private list archive
>
> This is at least very confusing.  The title says "will remain
> private", but none of the text says anything about it being
> private and you now seem to suggest that listmaster can just
> decide that it's not private.

I agree that the current title is misleading, as it doesn't convey the wording
of the full proposal.

I think that the title could be changed to someting along the lines of
"Acknowledge that the current debian-private declassification process will not
be implemented", but I think that's too long. Maybe "Revoke the current
debian-private declassification process"?

I don't know if such a title change falls under A.1.6 or not, as the actual
meaning of the GR is the text, not its title, but the title might have misled
people into seconding. *shudder*

> We do have this text in the developer's reference:
> 4.1.3.A Special lists

>     private discussions amongst Debian developers. It is meant to be
>     used for posts which for whatever reason should not be published
>     publicly. As such, it is a low volume list, and users are urged
>     not to use <debian-private@lists.debian.org> unless it is really
>     necessary. Moreover, do not forward email from that list to
>     anyone. Archives of this list are not available on the web for
>     obvious reasons, but you can see them using your shell account on
>     master.debian.org and looking in the ~debian/archive/
>     debian-private/ directory.

That's right. However, the Developers Reference is not a binding document,
merely a documentation of existing practice. When and if declassification
happens, whether by listmasters or by others, the devref will need updating.

Thanks for your feedback,
--
Nicolas Dandrimont

Dijkstra probably hates me