Re: Proposed GR: Acknowledge that the debian-private list will remain private

* Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> [2016-07-08 16:21:32 +0200]:

> On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 03:37:08PM +0200, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> > === BEGIN GR TEXT ===
> >
> > Title: Acknowledge that the debian-private list will remain private.
> >
> > 1. The 2005 General Resolution titled "Declassification of debian-private
> >    list archives" is repealed.
> > 2. In keeping with paragraph 3 of the Debian Social Contract, Debian
> >    Developers are strongly encouraged to use the debian-private mailing
> >    list only for discussions that should not be disclosed.
> >
> > === END GR TEXT ===
>
> What does this mean for messages to private between the 2005 GR
> and this GR passing?  Could you be more explicit about it?

The GR doesn't mean anything for messages that have been sent to -private,
actually. It just removes a process that has not been enacted for 10 years, and
won't be in the future.

I would probably accept an amendment making the title of this GR "Acknowledge
that the current process for debian-private declassification won't be enacted,
and repeal it." or something more English.

> (I'm also not sure what the situation before 2005 really was.)

Me neither. In my interpretation of our current foundation documents and
regulations, repealing the 2005 GR means that the listmasters are now empowered
to do whatever they wish with the debian-private list archive, within the
limits of US law of course (as I believe that's where they're hosted). At their
discretion, listmasters will always be able to ask the project to endorse
whichever process they wish to establish, if they ever find volunteers to do
the declassification work for historical purposes, although I have complete
trust in their judgement and therefore I don't feel it's necessary.

In other words, if we remove the 2005 GR, debian-private is not a special list
anymore, and we trust the listmasters judgement on its archive.

And I'm fine with that.
--
Nicolas Dandrimont

BOFH excuse #5: