Re: Proposed GR: Repeal the 2005 vote for declassification of the debian-private mailing list

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 12:28:37PM +0000, Bas Wijnen wrote:

I had a longer reply to the rest of this mail, but I'm not seeing
the point.

> Which leads me to a repeat of a point I've seen before (and I didn't follow the
> entire discussion, so I may have missed an answer to it): are there any
> examples of threads that the public would benefit from if they were made
> public?

This bit warrants an answer though, and I don't really get why nobody's
given one; it's not hard. I gave some examples back in 2005 when I first
proposed the original GR:

] This list has hosted a number of significant discussions over the years,
] including most of the discussion inspiring the original statement
] of Debian's Social Contract and the Debian Free Software Guidelines,
] the reinvetion of the new-maintainer process, debate on the qmail to
] exim/postfix transition for Debian mail servers and more. This trend
] continues today, with the six months just past have averaged around 190
] posts per month.

Since then there have been other important discussions; ones that come to
mind include the actual and potential expulsion of various developers,
how to deal with money in various ways, and relationships with various
companies including special deals offered to DDs.

It's obviously hard to give specific reasons why any of that is important
without violating people's increasingly restrictive presumptions of
secrecy, but I don't think it's hard to come up with ways in which the
above *could* involve DDs acting in their own interests rather than the
interests of Debian's users and the free software community. Making the
discussions public is a way of demonstrating conspiracy theories along
those lines are unfounded.

Cheers,
aj