Re: Proposed GR: Repeal the 2005 vote for declassification of the debian-private mailing list

On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 03:40:41PM +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> I would be very interested in an explanation [off-list & encrypted if
> it is too private] as I can't come up with a reason why that could be
> a concious decision to not show the number of mails sent to d-private
> over time as it is done for every other list rather than just an
> implementation detail of how that list is handled.

Just for public record: I got explanations (here and maybe off-list)
which I can accept while not agreeing with them, but discussing them in
public is futile as I would be leaking left and right and I wouldn't
want to move the discussion to private (list or not) either.

So I rest my case with two last comments I can't help myself making even
through I can't back them up in a reasonable way:

1. Is it privacy of others we are protecting OR is it perhaps that we
are trying to protect ourselves? Discussions gone bad on a public list
can be attributed to non-contributors interfering. What are we going to
tell ourselves if that would ever happen on -private? (Note that I am
not saying it does happen, so don't try to discuss it as that would
surely leak in either direction)

2. My interest in declassification is (surprise surprise) apt related,
as its history has obvious plot holes. It is hard enough to follow over
a few lists which are used pretty interchangeable, with references to
dead websites and unrecorded IRC that to follow the occasional reference
from deity to private (and back) could be interesting. It is at least
what I thought while not having access to -private archives and that
memory is still strong.  Public interest is of course non-existent, but
the prospect of never being able to fix these holes or to at least mark
the holes as lost in time makes me a bit sad.  Not that I believe in the
strong possibility that I could even if all of -private would be
declassified entirely right about now, but just like apt I like to
accumulate options more than removing them.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies