Re: Proposed GR: Acknowledge difficulty of declassifying debian-private

On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 05:27:42PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I have changed my about waiting before making a formal proposal.
>
> I hereby propose the following General Resolution.
>
>  Title: Acknowledge difficulty of declassifying debian-private

[ … ]

Thanks Ian.

I wonder if something like this would find favour too, at least as an
option on the ballot. I'm not convinced about it, but I want to float it
for the consideration of others.

  2. There shall be no declassification of any portion of the
     debian-private archives, except when the authors of all material
     being declassified have explicitly consented.
  3. Participants are reminded to use -private only when necessary.

It has the effect of removing any question about whether d-private can
be declassified while the GR is still in force.

It's doubtful whether listmasters or anyone else will ever propose a
process for declassifying the archives if this GR passes, but such a
proposal and the subsequent discussions could end up costing the project
a lot of energy. This option aims to remove that risk.

(I'm going to be away from tomorrow for a week, and I won't be able to
propose it before I'm back - somebody else could do so.)

Iain Lane                                  [ iain@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@debian.org ]
Ubuntu Developer                                   [ laney@ubuntu.com ]