Re: Debian Project Leader Election 2015 Results

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 09:09:01AM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 09:28:34PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > Kurt Roeckx dijo [Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 12:45:37AM +0200]:

> > > So I have no source at all that is can tell me the number of DDs?
> >
> > You can fetch the number of active DD keys [1,2], and add to it the
> > number of removed 1024D keys [3]. When a person who had their key
> > removed due to being too short presents a new key, we take the old one
> > out of the removed-1024 tree as well. People with 1024D keys cannot
> > vote, but don't lose their DD status.
>
> As far as I know relying on the keyring and ldap has always been
> incorrect.  The number was always off by a few.

I've never quite understood why LDAP isn't accurate, but I couldn't
figure out a simple query and even
'(&(gidNumber=800)(!(shadowExpire=1))(objeass=debianDeveloper))'
gives 988 entries of which some are incorrect.

3 of these have no key: adeodato, flatmax + schizo.

flatmax has a lost key. adeodato + schizo are account renames and I'm
not sure why the old ones are still around as active.

2 of those with fingerprints are keys that have been moved to emeritus
but don't seem to have been cleaned up; they did not have RT tickets so
I suspect they got missed and I have already filed an RT ticket for DSA
to sort them out.

2 others of those with fingerprints are DDs with lost or revoked keys.

The astute will notice that this leaves 981 keys, whereas I counted 983
keys in the keyrings. It turns out there are 2 DDs who have removed 1024
bit keys but who have locked LDAP accounts (issue with SSH key on one,
"DSA locked" on the other as comments).

Anyway. The 2 things to take away are a) yes, it's depressingly hard to
work out how many voting members Debian has and b) the answer is 986 at
present.

> > Of course, the only authoritative number should be in the hands of
> > DAM. But we have something, uh, quite close to it.
>
> It's was my understanding that DAM says that nm.debian.org is
> authoritative.

That is the eventual goal but at present various pieces of information
are manually updated. Enrico and keyring-maint have been working on
making it easier for nm.d.o to track keyring changes but there's still
more to be done before this is complete. There's a vague plan to get
this done during DebConf if not before.

J.

--
Revd Jonathan McDowell, ULC | Interesting concept.