Re: GR: Constitutional Amendment to fix an off-by-one error and duplicate section numbering

Kurt Roeckx writes ("Re: GR: Constitutional Amendment to fix an off-by-one error and duplicate section numbering"):
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 10:12:41PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> >    (i) Delete most of A.6(3) (which implemented the supermajority
> >    by dropping options at an early stage).  Specifically:
> >       - Move A.6(3)(1) (the definition of V(A,B)) to a new subparagraph
> >         A.6(3)(0) before A.6(3)(1).
> >       - Remove the rest of A.6(3) entirely, leaving A.6(2) to be
> >         followed by A.6(4).

As the original author of this wording, this is my fault.  Sorry.

> Those 2 things conflict.  First you create a A.6(3)(0), then you
> say there is no A.6(3) left.  Please clarify what you mean.

I think this is a numbering problem:

      (i) Delete most of A.6(3) (which implemented the supermajority
      by dropping options at an early stage).  Specifically:
	 - Move A.6(3)(1) (the definition of V(A,B)) to a new subparagraph
	   A.6(3)(0) before A.6(3)(1).
           ^^^^^^^^^

I think I intended that this should read A.6(4)(0).
                                            ^^^
That puts the definition of V(A,B) immediately before its first use in
A.6(4)(1).

> >      +       the consequences set out alongside the majority
> >      +       requirement (or, if unspecified, the default option
> >      +       wins).
>
> Where are those consequences documented?  This is about the
> non-binding statements?

Yes.  The consequences are documented `alongside the majority
requirement'.  That is, when the constitutional text specifies a
majority requirement, it can now also specify what happens if the
supermajority fails.

In para (v) of the GR text, text is added to 6.1(4) and 4.1(4) saying
that supermajority-failing TC decisions, and supermajority-failing
attempts to use TC powers by way of GR, are advisory.

> >    (v) In
> >        * 6.1(4) (Technical Commitee power to overrule a Developer)
> >        * 4.1(4) (Developers' use of TC powers by GR) (if another
> >            constitutional amendment has not abolished that
> >            supermajority requirement)
> >    in each case after the "N:M majority" add
> >      +   ; failing that, the prospective winning resolution text becomes
> >      +   a non-binding statement of opinion.
>
> So I understand that if there is no winner, and so maybe not
> even a normal majority (that doesn't even exist anymore?) for it,
> it becomes a statement of opinion?

No.  I'm not even sure what that paragraph of yours means.  (If there
is no winner, how could "it" become a statement of opinion ?  What
would "it" be ?)  As for `normal' majorities, that is already dealt
with by Condorcet.  Something that most people disagree with cannot
become the Condorcet winner because it will be defeated by FD/SQ.

The intent of this change is that if the Condorcet(CSSD) winner does
not meet the supermajority requirement, it is still the winning
outcome of the whole vote, but only as a non-binding statement of
opinion.

So for example, suppose in a TC vote we have:

 A "we overrule the maintainer [6.1(4)]: this patch to comply with
    policy must must be applied"

 B "we set policy [6.1(1)]: the policy is wrong and must be changed"

and votes are  5x A,B,FD   2x B,FD,A

The overall Condorcet winneer is A but only by a 5:2 majority, so the
TC does not overrule.

With the existing rules A is eliminated early, leaving B the Condorcet
winner.  This is a bizarre outcome: the winning option was disfavoured
by 5/7ths of the TC !

With the new scheme, A is the Condorcet winner (the `prospective
winner' in the wording proposed in the GR text).  But it fails its
supermajority.

So `prospective winning resolution text becomes a non-binding
statement of opinion'.  Ie, the TC is treated as having said:

  A' "we advise [6.1(5)]: we disagree with the maintainer; this patch
      to comply with policy should be applied"

This makes a lot more sense as an outcome.  The maintainer can
continue to diregard the disputed policy, because the TC hasn't
mustered the certainty needed to overrule the maintainer; but, the
policy is not altered.

If you feel that the proposed wording isn't clear I'm sure Andi would
be happy to hear your suggestions for clarification.

> (Or I might be totally confused about the effects of all the
> changes you're doing.  Those are all non-obvious changes that seem
> to change more than the things you want to fix.)

The determination of when supermajority failure occurs is necessarily
entangled with the consequences.

Ian.