Re: draft alternative proposal: fix problem at the root

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 12/02/2014 06:13 PM, Jakub Wilk wrote:
>
>> This is an interesting proposal. But it's a big change, so I think it
>> should be thoroughly discussed before I could second it.
>
> I agree some discussion would be useful, but seems like it's a lot
> simpler than all the other noodling with term-limits that has gone on
> thus far.  What kind of thorough discussion would you like to have?
>
> It seems like the proposal is simple:
>
>  * Do away with the Technical Committee entirely.
>
> The main questions this raises are:
>
> How would we deal with conflicts that would currently be addressed by
> the TC?  Hopefully, the answers would be something like: collaboration
> and teamwork, negotiation, mediation, and GRs (in that order).
>
> Do we believe that those resolution mechanisms would be more or less
> likely to cause strife within the project (or outside the project) than
> would resolution by the current TC mechanism?

Disbanding the TC would likely do more harm than good.  There would be
no way to conclude a disagreement.

I suggested this before:

    TC actions should be limited solely to disagreement mediation, and only when
    that doesn't involve a conflict of interest pertaining to one of
the TC members,
    and only when all other attempts at reconciliation have tried and failed.

I would like to see all of section 6.1 removed and replaced by
something simple, limited, and to the point like that.

Best wishes,
Mike