Re: Legitimate exercise of our constitutional decision-making processes [Was, Re: Tentative summary of the amendments]

ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk wrote:

>I don't want to be having this conversation again in a year's time,
And still, I am ready to bet that we will...

>with those upstreams and their like-minded Debian contributors saying
>things like `it is too late now; the world has moved on'.
It is *already* too late: it is a fact that the rest of the relevant
world has moved on and has adopted systemd.

>I am personally not a great fan of sysvinit.  This argument is not
>really about service startup, though.  It's about
> systemd's graphical console management,
Kernel developers have been explaining for years that we need a user
space console to properly support things that are not well supported
now, and I do not see anybody else writing one...

> its replacements for syslog,
You are not required to replace your syslog daemon, and indeed the
Debian systemd package does not replace it.

> cron,
You are not required to replace your cron daemon, and indeed the
Debian systemd package does not replace it.

> ntpd,
You are not required to replace your NTP daemon, and indeed the
Debian systemd package does not replace it.
Also, systemd-timesyncd is a simple NTP client and cannot replace ntpd
anyway except for a trivial (but common) use case.

> acpid,
Systemd does not replace acpid.

Maybe you should try to better understand how systemd actually works
before deciding that you do not like it. :-)

--
ciao,
Marco