Re: Legitimate exercise of our constitutional decision-making processes [Was, Re: Tentative summary of the amendments]

On 10/27/2014 at 10:29 PM, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On 28 October 2014 02:36, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

>>> It's clear that many who support systemd balk at the idea they
>>> might not be allowed to leverage systemd-specific features in
>>> Debian.
>
> I'm not sure I've seen people seriously proposing preventing people
> from leveraging systemd-specific features. Are they? That seems like
> a bad idea -- I wouldn't expect people to be forbidden from letting
> their packages take advantage of powerpc or freebsd specific
> features, just because I won't be able to use them on inux/amd64.

Just as a note, one difference here is that there is support in the
archive and package-distribution mechanisms for having multiple versions
of a package for different architectures or (I think?) kernels, so that
you can build a version with some optional features for one architecture
/ kernel but a version without those optional features on another - but
there is no such support for having multiple versions of a package for
different init systems.

You can only have one architecture, only one kernel, and only one init
system active at any given time. The archive and its infrastructure
recognizes this for architectures and (I think) kernels, and supports
special handling for them to avoid or work around problems which would
(or easily could) otherwise be present. The archive and its
infrastructure do not presently recognize this or provide such support
for init systems; as such, no such workarounds are available.

It seems possible that some of the problems potentially / arguably
introduced by having features provided by only a subset of available
init systems could be avoided or resolved by having multiple package
versions for different init systems, much as we already have for
different architectures and in some cases kernels. However, I'm not at
all sure that it's clear that the benefit of having such would be worth
the trouble of setting it up and maintaining it.

--
   The Wanderer