Re: Alternative proposal: reaffirm maintainers technical competence over the software they maintain

    Arno> Hi Kurt,
    Arno> On 20.10.2014 21:33, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
    >> So the question is going to be if this options overrides #746715
    >> or not.  I didn't look into it yet, so I might be turning 1 or
    >> more of the options into overrding the TC and put them under
    >> 4.1.4.

    Arno> I do not follow you on this argumentation. The amendment text
    Arno> does not disagree with, or overrule, the resolution #746715 in
    Arno> any way. It does not endorse maintainers to drop support for a
    Arno> particular init system.  Quite in contrary, it emphasizes to
    Arno> focus on the best user experience ("Debian package maintainers
    Arno> [shall] provide the best free software to our users") which,
    Arno> of course, also includes users of non-default init systems.

I actually think the amendment text does provide a different emphasis
than the TC ruling.  The TC ruling expects that maintainers will
generally support multiple init systems.  The amendment text focuses on
user experience.  I might well decide (I happen to believe) that systemd
provides a better user experience for enough users that if I were
judging based only on user experience I would drop sysvinit support.
so, I think the amendment text shifts the emphasis of our decisions and
as such overrules the TC.

--Sam