Re: Alternative proposal: support for alternative init systems is desirable but not mandatory

Hi,

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
> Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>> I am therefore bringing forward an alternative proposal, deeply inspired
>> from the "Advice: sysvinit compatibility in jessie and multiple init
>> support" option of the TC resolution on init system coupling[1], which
>> was originally written by Russ Allbery[2] and was then amended by many
>> participants to the discussion in February 2014.
>
> I am very uncomfortable with GRs being used to set technical policy.
> We have never before has a GR that did so. It can lock us into technical
> decisions which we then need a whole other GR process to get us out of.
> And mass voting on technical minutia is no way to run a distribution.

The GR about DMs[1] did set technical policy in so far as it prescribed
technical details of the initial implementation, including for example
the "DM-Upload-Allowed: yes" field.

However it implicitly allowed changing the details later without a GR by
just setting "inital policy".

Maybe something similar could be done here?

Ansgar

  [1] <https://www.debian.org/vote/2007/vote_003>