Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 11:13:56AM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I'm very unhappy about that too.  The right time to raise this was in
> March when Matthew proposed it and I seconded it.
>
> But that doesn't mean that it isn't still important now.

Sure. But the drawbacks of having it now are much more severe.

Of the teams I've mentioned in [1], I've already read in this thread
opinions from [individual members of] the release team. And they don't
seem pleased by having this GR at this point. Even though that's just
guess work for now, I suspect other concerned teams will be even *less*
pleased.

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2014/10/msg00005.html

As I've already told you in private mail, I value much more respecting
the work (plans) of teams that have a proven record of putting a stellar
amount of work in getting Debian releases together, than the technical
ability of switching init system --- which, AFAIU, is not even currently
undermined in Jessie.  Such a position of mine is not merely grounded in
abstract principles, it is eminently pragmatic: in a volunteer project
performing technical changes is generally easier than refurbishing
overworked and frustrated teams (that is so assuming you have enough
people power, but high-profile vote-based conflicts are hardly a way to
attract volunteers to a technical project).

For these reasons, and no matter what went wrong in the past with
previous attempts at this GR, I think you should have at the very least
included an "applies only to jessie + 1" provision in your proposal.
Doing so would have disentangled this matter from the upcoming freeze,
which, per se, is a well-known cause of stress for the project.

The more I think of it, the more I get convinced that the collateral
damages of this GR will outweigh any of its potential benefits.

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .