Re: [DRAFT] Maximum term for tech ctte members

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 03:46:49PM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> > I think since this is a tie-breaker situation which will presumably
> > rarely happen, it doesn't really matter much.
>
> How about:

I don't think this is a problem that is worth solving with extra
complexity in the text of the Constitution.

If a tie ever happens, I think we can count on the responsibility of the
involved CTTE members to agree between them on who should step down; and
possibly on the fact that they will all resign.

But I bite. I don't think it is a good idea to tie the tie breaking rule
to specific technology (the email message used for the appointment, IDs
in the Debian user database, etc).

If people really want to add a tie breaking rule, the most
straightforward one is specifying that *the DPL* will break any tie.
That would allow to further simplify the text, as we could then drop the
rule about "most senior project membership", and only keep CTTE
seniority. As the DPL is de facto empowered to break ties in advance (by
appointing one member after the other instead of simultaneously) this
change won't add any loophole. (The only quirk is that the DPL who will
break ties is most likely not the same who did the appointments. But the
Constitution should treat the DPL as an institution, not as a specific
person, so I don't really see a problem with this difference.)

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .