Re: [DRAFT] Maximum term for tech ctte members

Hi Phil,

On 19/11/14 at 16:44 +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:

> >> The '2-R' schema could even result in an internal TC discussion: "OK,
> >> the Project wants us to change two members. Are there people that feel
> >> like resigning now? Or should we just fallback to the default of expiring
> >> the two most senior members?"
> >> I think that if this happened, it would be very healthy for the TC.
> >
> > I agree that this would most certainly happen. But my judgement on it is
> > that it would be a *bad* thing, not a good one. In fact, I would see
> > that as a tactical behavior on the part of the CTTE to work around an
> > agreed upon judgement on the fact that turn-over is good, and that
> > remaining in charge too long is bad.
>
> Quite.
>
> This reminds me of a rule that for the EU's framework programs, where
> they must make sure that (IIRC) 30% new blood is brought into the review
> process every year to try to avoid cronyism.
>
> That sounds like a decent rule, in that it seems to imply that one
> replaces the reviewers every 4 years or so, but that's not what actually
> happens for various reasons.
>
> The actual outcome is that the same 60+% tend to do reviews year after
> year, with the 30% each year mostly replacing the 30% from the year
> before.
>
> Of course, with the TC it doesn't matter as much, because the TC is not
> allocating millions of Euros of funding.

I struggle to understand if this is a point against the '2-R' rule, or a
general comment about the possible risk that the TC might decide to just
re-appoint members expired at year n-1. I don't see what '2-R' changes
compared to '2' about that.

> Even so, if someone wanted to stay in post on the TC for whatever
> reason, this '2-R' rule would just encourage them to be difficult to
> work with in the hope that a couple of less senior members became fed up
> enough to leave early.
>
> It doesn't seem wise to have such an incentive to behave badly.

I'm unconvinced that this is an actual problem. Being difficult to work
with is one thing; but being difficult to work with in the hope that it
will cause other members to resign so that one can stay one more year on
the Debian TC seems quite a stretch.

Lucas