Re: [DRAFT] Maximum term for tech ctte members

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 09:44:43PM +0100, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> > This is still pending, and noted in BUGS. I agree this is as a
> > potential problem, at least if you look at it from a paranoid angle.
> > I find your suggested wording not immediate, though, and I wonder if
> > a/ someone else has better suggestion, and b/ whether this is worth
> > fixing.
>
> What about something along the lines of "At this time, the terms of
> members who have been members for more than 54 months automatically
> expire." ?

I've proposed a solution to this shortly before your message. Can you
look at it and follow-up if you're not happy with it and have an
alternative proposal?

> Another point though:
> > 5. A Developer is not eligible to be (re)appointed to the Technical
> >    Committee if they have been a member within the previous 12 months.
>
> Provided that the expiration happens on January first, does this imply
> that if A was expired on 01.01.2015, she becomes eligible again on
> 01.01.2016? As I read the two new clauses, given someone the project
> really wants on the TC, she can stay 5 years, break for a year and be
> re-appointed, right?

That is correct, yes.

> All-in-all, I feel the change goes in the right direction, but I also
> feel it only goes halfway through (probably the half we can collectively
> agree on though). The two issues I'd like to see fixed on a longer term
> are "quite long mandates" (although the fix helps here)

I guess it does, yes. Of course it depends on your notion of "quite
long", but ~5 years matches my intuitive notion of "long but not too
long" terms in board-like settings.

> and "imperfect representativity of the diversity of the project caused
> by self- appointment", which I'd like to get fixed through some sort
> of election through the project. Sorry, I digressed; let's keep that
> for a later discussion.

TBH I'm not sure how one could fix that with a hard rule either way, but
if you've specific proposals I'm all ears :) But please let's avoid
making perfect the enemy of the good (...aaaand once again I'm done with
my daily dose of lame proverbs).

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .