Re: "done with consensus decisionmaking", "war", "rearguard battles" [was: Re: REISSUED CfV: General Resolution: Init system coupling]

Hi Bas,

Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> writes:
> On Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 12:22:07PM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
>> 17:34:12 <dondelelcaro> Diziet: I don't think that stating that we
>> don't want to swap on upgrades is something we can agree on
>> 17:34:25 <dondelelcaro> Diziet: at least, not while the GR is
>> happening which seems to directly address this part of the question
>>
>> 17:34:28 <Diziet> dondelelcaro: That's not the question.  The
>> question is whether it's something that would pass a TC vote.
[...]
> Fair enough, this is a part where the level of civility is lower.  But
> Ian doesn't make an unreasonable point.  If those who oppose him are
> forcing their side with an overruling vote, why should he refrain from
> doing the same?  Consensus is great, but if we can't get there, we do
> want a decision.  And majority is better than nothing.

I find it at least very disrespectful to propose a technical committee
resolution that seems to contradict a GR currently in the voting phase.

> The only problematic part I see is that he gets carried away at times.
> That's a very minor issue, and I forgive him, as long as he isn't
> insulting people.  In fact, I not only forgive him; I applaud him for
> it; it shows that he cares.

I don't think it's a minor issue if a member of a committee that exists
to arbitrate on a basis of technical arguments starts to repeatedly
assert one side acts not only out of bad faith, but out of malice.
You might want to investigate why someone wrote [1].

Do you expect people who are told they act out of malice to trust that
this is still a fair decision process? I do not, and I think it's a
good reason to ask somebody to consider to step back.

Ansgar

  [1] <https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/01/msg00054.html>