Re: "done with consensus decisionmaking", "war", "rearguard battles" [was: Re: REISSUED CfV: General Resolution: Init system coupling]

On 10 November 2014 10:42, Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi Bas,
>
> Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> writes:
>> On Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 12:22:07PM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
>>> 17:34:12 <dondelelcaro> Diziet: I don't think that stating that we
>>> don't want to swap on upgrades is something we can agree on
>>> 17:34:25 <dondelelcaro> Diziet: at least, not while the GR is
>>> happening which seems to directly address this part of the question
>>>
>>> 17:34:28 <Diziet> dondelelcaro: That's not the question.  The
>>> question is whether it's something that would pass a TC vote.
> [...]
>> Fair enough, this is a part where the level of civility is lower.  But
>> Ian doesn't make an unreasonable point.  If those who oppose him are
>> forcing their side with an overruling vote, why should he refrain from
>> doing the same?  Consensus is great, but if we can't get there, we do
>> want a decision.  And majority is better than nothing.
>
> I find it at least very disrespectful to propose a technical committee
> resolution that seems to contradict a GR currently in the voting phase.

How exactly does that contradict the GR?

The GR is currently between:
1. Non-default inits must be supported (as PID1)
2. Non-default inits should be supported
3/4 - nothing to see here, move along, anyone can do anything they want.

The proposed TC resolution is what should happen on upgrade from
previous Debian stable version to jessie - should the init system be
switched for the user or not.

There is *no* option in the GR that says that *only* systemd is to be
supported. That would be the only option that would contradict a
decision to not switch over the default init system on an upgrade.

In fact no option in the GR says anything about what should happen to
the init system on upgrade and no GR option contradicts either
possible TC decision on the topic. So I am quite surprised to see that
it somehow " directly address this part of the question".

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org