Re: `systemd --system` as a viable way out of the systemd debate?

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 04:37:45PM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Gerrit Pape <pape@dbnbgs.smarden.org> writes:
> > >
> > > What is the reason that one can't easily run logind, or even better a
> > > systemd process running logind and possibly other services, under the
> > > runsv program from the runit init scheme, or through /etc/inittab?
> >
> > I believe it's that logind relies on the cgroups setup that's done by
> > systemd, and that's what systemd-shim takes care of.
>
> Right.  Specifically, logind uses the org.freedesktop.systemd1 DBus API
> to configure "slices" and "scopes", which act like runtime-creatable and
> runtime-configurable systemd units, including cgroup management.  (Among
> many other APIs.)

To the best of my knowledge, neither cgroups nor d-bus require pid 1.

Is this after all the root cause, a rather complex API implemented in
pid 1 although it doesn't require any pid 1 capabilities?
If so, I can understand why people might feel it's not "the Unix way of
life."

Is this the "coupling" the proposal talks about?