Re: Alternative proposal: support for alternative init systems is desirable but not mandatory

Quoting Nikolaus Rath (2014-10-21 02:41:12)
> Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>> Nikolaus Rath writes ("Re: Alternative proposal: support for alternative init systems is desirable but not mandatory"):
>>> I just don't understand why you consider uselessd a "trick" that I came
>>> up with (leaving alone the fact that David brought it up here, and that
>>> yet another guy started the project).
>>
>> When I read someone mention uselessd before, I thought it was a
>> hypothetical fork of systemd which was nearly identical to systemd.
>>
>> I think uselessd, if it is successful, deals squarely with many of the
>> actual reasons why people don't like systemd: systemd's tendency to
>> try to be everything.  That is the real coupling threat - not the lack
>> of ability to continue to use init scripts.
>>
>> So I think in practice there aren't going to be many packages that
>> would want to couple specifically to systemd _or_ uselessd, but where
>> support for other init systems is hard to provide.
>
> So just to be clear: A package requiring either uselessd or systemd
> would be acceptable in Debian if your GR proposal passes?

Yes.

This GR is not anti-systemd, it is pro-choice-if-init-system.

In case you also lack an executive summary of that: The last GR was not
which-init-system, but which-system-by-default.

This GR is not anti-last-GR but refining -what-else-than-default with
-and-more-than-default-must-be-supported.

 - Jonas