Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

Le vendredi, 17 octobre 2014, 10.00:59 Ean Schuessler a écrit :
> ----- "Holger Levsen" <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> > If you don't like upstreams choices, *you* should write patches. Not
> > GRs telling other people to do so.
>
> Very well stated. Perhaps a sensible response to this GR is for all of
> the maintainers who truly disagree with it to state their intent of
> putting their packages up for adoption upon its ratification.

This would only make Debian worse, not better.

Amongst the other problems of this GR, I think this one is the worst
part: this GR text [0] creates artificial new conditions [1] for
software acceptable in Debian, both for new software _and_ for existing
ones. This implies that the best ${insert-your-tech-here} since slice
bread only working with one init system [2] would _not_ be acceptable in
Debian until "someone" does the work to make it non-init specific, even
if no one would ever imagine using said ${insert-your-tech-here} in that
context. We'd be severely moving away from a "patches welcome" culture,
which I feel, does quite essentially define our mode of collaboration.
We'd be moving to a culture where perfect(ly init-agnostic) would be the
enemy of good and where we put the burden of making sure corner-cases
work not on the ones experiencing the corner-cases, but on the
maintainers. I'm unhappy about that and will not vote in favour of this
proposal.

Cheers,
OdyX

[0] <21567.57029.724173.958520@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
[1] On top of our usual set: DFSG, maintainability, security, etc.
[2] Which might happen to be why it's so much better: better integration
across the stack.