Re: All DPL candidates: DPL Term lengths and limits?

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 01:24:13PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Do you want to disenfranchise DDs who are on vacation?

What if they are in vacation for 2 weeks?

So, in fact, what you really want to do is to compare the probability
that a DD is AFK for 2 weeks with that that she is AFK for 1 week, and
balance that with the inconvenience of having a longer election period.

I postulate that these days the project members in the following set:

  (people who go on vacation for 2 weeks
   MINUS
   people who go on vacation for 1 week)
  INTERSECT
  people who go on vacation in April

is statistically indistinguishable from 0, and it will further decrease
over time due to Internet penetration in our lives.

But even assuming it's a real problem™, we can use very simple solutions
to avoid the problem all together. For instance, we can publish the
ballots directly at the end of the nomination period, but only accept
signed ballots during the (1-week) voting period. That way the very few
people in the above set can cron their way around the problem.  If I'm
reading the time line right, that would actually *increase* the
available vote time window by 3 weeks wrt now (or by 1 week with Lucas'
calendar).

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .