Re: All DPL candidates: about the PPAMAIN

Hi Thomas,

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 03:07:39PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Though, it is my understanding that those who are capable of doing the
> work are too busy. So what is your plan? Is using Debian money for
> sponsoring that work one of the things you would do? If yes, up to what
> amount would you accept to spend? (note: I think it would be money
> wisely spent)

I'm very wary of using Debian money directly to pay people for
development. No matter what your view on if this is good expenditure, I
think it's been shown that this is highly divisive to the project. We're
a community of volunteers, and the proposals to use money in this way is
well documented, so I won't repeat them here. [0]

For hardware though, I think that this would indeed be legitimate
expenditure - we should ensure that it's not a technical factor that's
blocking the deployment of this.

However, I think that there's a wider question which can be asked: is
wanna-build/britney/dak the best option for the project? SteamOS for
example uses OBS [1] to completely rebuild Debian. I'm not suggesting we
immediately dump our tools, but it's certainly an option we should keep
open in any evaluation.

[0] For those who don't remember, search for DUNC tank on your favourite
search engine.
[1] http://openbuildservice.org/