Re: All DPL candidates: Debian assets

Hi Lars,

On 21/03/14 at 16:02 +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 10:44:07PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
> > At the moment, in just SPI, we have > 100k USD awaiting being spent.
> > As an indication, that’s enough for a DebConf without any sponsors!
> > Our donations should be spent. Be that better porter boxes, or a
> > better backup service, or simply making sure our core machines are
> > replaced regularly.
>
> Lucas and Neil, what are your opinions on spending some of that money
> on frequent springs, e.g., for bug fixing?

I'm all for useful developers meetings (sprints, BSPs, mini-debconfs).
I don't think I have turned down any funding request for such an event
during my term. Now, of course, each funding request need to be
evaluated with the following test: "would our donors agree that this is
good use of their donations?". Flying people around the world to attend
one-day BSPs might not be such a good use of Debian funds. :)

Generally, my impression is that many Debian contributors do not fancy
travelling that much, or are just too busy, and thus don't really like
to attend too many such events.

Lucas