Re: two questions: fund raising money and publicity

On Wed, 2014-03-19 at 21:53 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> How so? I have the feeling that all the relevant people are on the list?

I get the feeling that Martin and Kai from the Press Team aren't
subscribed, unsure though.

> Maybe there's too much things going out of band without feedback to
> debian-publicity but I have the feeling that mailing debian-publicity
> with news to relay seems to work okayish right now.

Most of the identi.ca/debian posts are done on the IRC channel only as
specified by our current workflows.

> Yes, it would be better if everybody who contributed news ideas got some
> feedback.

Most of the time feedback isn't needed and the relevant folks just write
the paragraph for DPN and include it.

> I blame identi.ca upstream for this... that switch was really a huge step
> backwards in terms of features. It might be better in the long term but
> we can't really be blamed when there was simply no good tool for the task.

I think slightly differently. I think it was a mistake on Debian's
behalf to rely on a SaaSS (Service as a Software Substitute, free or
non-free) not controlled by Debian for primary storage and distribution
of short news snippets. I think we should learn from this and go towards
something like what I proposed on -publicity in response to Laronja's
post but also extended to all external sites (not just social networks),
including things like Slashdot, Hacker News and so on. In implementing
this idea I think we also solve Francesca's concerns because everything
goes to the one place (www.d.o) so we have to co-ordinate to get
everything in place. Every external medium has different requirements
and conventions but I think it would be possible to achieve if someone
has the time to work on it. First step would be to analyse existing
information flows between Debian and external sites.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-publicity/2013/10/msg00008.html

> It's not really difficult to find volunteers to package new software. But
> it requires a post to debian-mentors or on planet Debian at least. The publicity
> team could even put this task in the Debian france event running now:
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianFrance/NewContributorGame
>
> Paul, are you willing to mentor a project related to this?

I have a number of publicity related ideas but I hesitated in adding
them to GSoC/OPW/DFNCG because I'm procrastinating on too many tasks
already and thus I don't think I could dedicate the required time.

> At least for DPN, it survived quite well even though you went away and even though
> David Prévot reduced his involvement as well.

I get the impression Cedric is doing most of the writing for DPN but
there are definitely other contributors to it.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise