Re: GR proposal: code of conduct

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 01:14:08PM +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Thijs Kinkhorst:
> > I do not see the code of conduct to be very different from the diversity
> > statement with respect to the requirements for changing it. The decision
> > on that statement did not contain any clauses authorising the DPL to make
> > updates to it.
> >

> A CoC which doesn't prescribe every single letter one might type invariably
> contains loopholes, which we might have to plug in a reasonably timely manner.

I see it as the opposite way round - a document that is *not*
perscriptive is less likely to have loopholes :)

> I therefore suggest the following amendment:
>
> 	The DPL may offer changes to this document by mailing to
> 	debian-announce. Changes are deemed to be approved after
> 	four weeks if they are not retracted and no GR is called
> 	on them or a related modification.
>
> Thus, uncontroversial changes get applied in a timely manner and without
> buerocratic overhead, while anything else will get the full GR treatment.

That's a little worrying to me - I don't think there's anything that is
urgent enough that requires this timescale.
Even so, if the DPL choses to modify the minimum discussion period, and
the voting period, the GR proceedure can be over in 2 weeks, rather than
the 4 proposed above. Taking the two above, I'm personally more
comfortable with the updates-via-gr process.

Neil