Re: GR proposal: code of conduct

On Fri, March 7, 2014 11:23, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 06:05:45PM +0000, Neil McGovern wrote:
>> Amendment B - Updates to the CoC should be via developers as a whole
>> Justification - I believe that this document should have the strength of
>> being a whole project statement. Being able to be updated by a single
>> person doesn't feel comfortable with me.
>
> I understand this argument, but the DPL is not a random single person in
> Debian, he/she is someone elected by project members. I therefore don't
> buy that allowing the DPL to change the CoC will diminish in any way the
> communicative strength of the CoC.

I do not see the code of conduct to be very different from the diversity
statement with respect to the requirements for changing it. The decision
on that statement did not contain any clauses authorising the DPL to make
updates to it.

I do not expect there will be a need for frequent updates or changes to
the core meaning of the text. I also do not see any problem with a
significant changes requiring a GR. Deciding on changes to shared norms
like these seems like the thing GR's are definitely fit for.

Cheers,
Thijs