Re: GR proposal: code of conduct

Wouter Verhelst writes ("Re: GR proposal: code of conduct"):
> > > 2. The initial text of this code of conduct replaces the "mailinglist
> > >    code of conduct" at http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct
> >
> > Is this overriding the listmasters then?
> I'll leave it up to the secretary to decide whether this is, indeed,
> overriding listmasters, but I don't think it is, or should be.

I think it would be better to get an opinion from the listmasters.  If
the listmasters are happy with the GR then clearly it's not overruling
them.  If they are unhappy with it then given that they're mostly
going to be implementing it we should hear about it and take their
comments on board!

I would be happy to second this GR provided that the listmasters
approve, or at least don't object.

I don't want to CC the listmasters in this thread on -vote because
they probably don't want a zillion crossposts.  As the proponent and
editor, would you send them a mail asking their opinion ?

> > So, we have a Foundation Document, or a Position Statement that's agreed
> > by GR, and then can be changed by the DPL to a delegate. I don't think
> > this is entirely constitutional...

I think this would be dealt with by a rubric at the top of the GR
which says:

  The Debian Project adopts the following Position Statement under
  4.1.5 of the Constitution.  (This is not a Foundation Document.)

> The position statement really only is the "we accept a code of conduct"
> part. Everything else isn't.

The part saying the DPL can change the CoC surely is part of the
position statement.

> Maybe that means I should not put the text of the code of conduct inline
> with the rest of the GR? If so, I'll happily do so.

I think you should indent it, or put it in an appendix, or something.

Ian.