Re: GR proposal: code of conduct

Hi Wouter,

Thanks for all your work on helping bring this together so far, but I
think this ballot is troubling on a number of reasons.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:59:42AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> 1. The Debian project decides to accept a code of conduct for
>    participants to its mailinglists, IRC channels, and other modes of
>    communication within the project.

How do you see this being effective? Are you envisioning it being agreed
to as part of the NM process perhaps? Additionally, how core is this to
the project - could it be viewed as a Foundation Document?

IRC channels are particularly interesting, as they also hold additional
standards to be upheld. The actual text seems to be somewhat geared
towards mailing lists, and then has "other communication mechanisms"
bolted in to it. As an obvious omission, IRC ops aren't on
https://www.debian.org/intro/organization.

> 2. The initial text of this code of conduct replaces the "mailinglist
>    code of conduct" at http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct

Is this overriding the listmasters then?

> 3. Updates to this code of conduct should be made by the DPL or the
>    DPL's delegates after consultation with the project, or by the Debian
>    Developers as a whole through the general resolution procedure.

So, we have a Foundation Document, or a Position Statement that's agreed
by GR, and then can be changed by the DPL to a delegate. I don't think
this is entirely constitutional...

Neil