Re: GR: Selecting the default init system for Debian

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 02:53:26PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> dropping the useless cc: and not commenting on the thread topic at all so
> far yet...

> On Sonntag, 19. Januar 2014, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > As a TC member, I dislike the supermajority requirement for the project
> > > to overturn a TC decision by GR, particularly in this case.
> > I agree.  I think that would be quite bad.

> care to explain why you think so? I do think its a useful requirement to
> avoid $adjective GRs like this one (or at least make them harder).

Because it doesn't avoid wasting people's time on *holding* the GR; it only
gives the result for all the world to see that the developers prefer one
solution, but the TC prefers another, and the TC's decision would take
precedence.  While there's an argument for having a smaller group spend time
to study the issue more carefully, if the larger group can't overturn the
smaller group's decision with a simple majority, then whatever else that is,
it's antidemocratic.