Re: [all candidates] on distribution-wide changes and scalability

Lucas Nussbaum writes ("Re: [all candidates] on distribution-wide changes and scalability"):
> On 14/03/13 at 17:55 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > - Debian should decide to use a single VCS (say, Git), for all packages,
> >   uniform repository structure and work-flow, and give by default
> >   read/write access to all DDs. This would allow push-button changes to
> >   all packages in the archive.  We often speak about "reducing package
> >   ownership" during DPL campaigns, well, this is the ultimate step of
> >   it.
>
> We already have a single VCS: the Debian archive.

Indeed.

However, it's an absolutely terrible VCS.  (And I speak as one of the
people responsible for its architecture.)

I'm very much in favour of attempts to fix this, which I think is one
of the biggest practical barriers to participation in Debian.
However, of course, changing this is a difficult and complicated
problem.  I don't have any easy answers.

I'm hoping to see more experiments in this area.  Hopefully one of
them will be successful enough to eventually remove the archive from
the primary workflow.

Ian.