Re: [all candidates] lack of women in Debian

Mònica Ramírez Arceda <monica@debian.org> writes:

> I would like to know your opinion about this graph (thanks Francesca!):
> http://blog.zouish.org/posts/dw/
>
> Note that I'm not asking for a way to recruit women (there are already
> efforts on that). I would like to know if you think that this lack of
> women affects (or not) the Debian project and how.

I'm both happy and sad about the graph. Happy, because it shows
improvement, sad, because it doesn't show enough of it. Though, I'm
hoping that if we had better tracking, if the graph would include
translators, doc writers, event organisers and all kinds of other
contributions, the curve would be much nicer. I'm also afraid that this
is just a hope at this point.

Nevertheless, the lack of women does affect Debian, and not in a good
way, but, as you wrote, there are already efforts to recruit more women
(with the recent announcement of participating in GNOME Outreach Program
for Women[1] is something I was very happy to hear).

 [1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-women/2013/03/msg00013.html

Diversity - be that gender diversity or any other kind - is in general
something to strive for, something that benefits us greatly in many,
many ways. So having so few women within the strictly viewed project is
worrying.

> I also would like to know if you have any proposal related to this topic
> that you would like to do if elected.

Improving our recruitment strategy and our outreach efforts are core
parts of my platforms, and these naturally include efforts that
specifically target women. However, I do not (yet) have any specific
plan (related to the topic of women in Debian) in mind, that would be
different from efforts already in motion.