Re: [all candidates] on distribution-wide changes and scalability

On 2013-03-17 12:40, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
Do you think that changing X-Vcs-* to Vcs-* is something Debian should
actively spend cycles on NMU'ing to change?

No.

Implementing dh(1) or source format 3, notwithstanding their advantages for DD's, is successful if the generated binary packages are the same as before. Should we really focus more effort on increasing the existing convergence?

No, I don't see a strong argument for it. If, for reasons that I can't yet imagine, we made a decision that it was important, I would rather that the transition happened fairly quickly, including NMUs slightly earlier than I would expect under current guidelines.

As a counter point, in the current cycle I've been involved two archive-wide transitions that actually do impact the installed system: multi-arch and hardening build flags. Once the dpkg/apt infrastructure was in place, the
archive-wide changes have in my opinion been reasonably successfully
implemented within the timeframe of this release, with the help of
them being
a release goal. Why do we need more tools than we currently have?

If it helps, imagine that I hadn't mentioned the idea yet, and that instead I mentioned it the next time an agreed transition is being slow. (Well, preferably just before, with somehow-believed foresight about the slowness that would occur if nothing changed.)

--
Moray