Re: [all candidates] Debian as an FSF Free Software Distribution

On 14/03/13 at 23:05 -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> > What work will you be doing to continue Zach's efforts to negotiate with
> > the FSF over Debian's status as a Free Software Distribution?
> >
> > Will you treat this issue as a priority? Can we expect continued open
> > dialogue with the FSF on this issue? Would you be willing to help find
> > the right concessions on both sides to collaborate?
> >
> > What is your opinion on this matter?
>
> I am more curious what the candidates think should or can be done in
> light of the FSF's absenteeism in that discussion (so far).  What (if
> anything) can actually be accomplished without even a
> partially-defined path from their perspective?

We don't need the FSF to do review of our archives and practices, and
identify some bugs (as done in e.g.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=686481).

But of course, we need the FSF to explain what they consider
inappropriate. If elected, I would:
- add this topic to the list of things that I would check on a
  regular basis (prior to every DPL helpers meeting, for example)
- make sure that the FSF is pinged on a regular basis, or by someone for
  is "in charge" of following that topic
- communicate the status of this topic in monthly bits. I think that
  that's the only kind of pressure we can use anyway...

Lucas