Re: Usage of Debian's Money

On 2013-03-12 12:43, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
On Tue, 12 Mar 2013, Moray Allan wrote:
If there was general support then we could look at organising a
funded program, but I would need a lot of persuasion before wanting
to get into the question of Debian picking specific individuals to
pay for their work while everyone else is unpaid volunteers.[2]

[2] Some of you will remember Dunc-Tank.

Despite the above statement, your platform mentions “I would seek
suggestions on how we could try to advance Debian's goals by spending
money in ways we're not currently doing. While I think we should be
careful with money, I would be willing to authorise spending to try out new ideas from others, where goals can be defined and the success of an
initiative can be judged.”

What kind of new ideas would be acceptable? Feel free to invent some
hypothetical examples to illustrate.

Before thinking about any further examples, I first want to explain what I meant above, since it seems like I wasn't clear to you:

I said I would need (a lot of) persuasion before paying individual Debian contributors. That's true, but it certainly doesn't mean I would attempt to veto paid internship stipends for e.g. students, if there seemed to be general support for them. I was not trying to exclude them from "acceptable" ideas.

For ideas which have not been tried at all before, my personal persuasion-threshold for doing an experiment would be lower than for this, though I would still want to be careful about the amount spent.

--
Moray