[to all candidates] Free Software challenges and Debian role

(After 4 years, I'm again on the right side of the ballot box to ask
questions... *cracking knuckles*)

All candidates seem to agree that Debian has an important role to play
in the Free Software movement at large. Good: I couldn't agree more! :)

But then, one wonders, what are the main challenges that free software
at large faces today?  For one thing, it would quite pointless to have,
say, Debian be a recognized free software "leader," if free software in
itself is declining or doomed to fail. I'm not saying I think it is the
case, but if our success is a part of free software success, we do need
to have an opinion on how free software is going, outside our Project
boundaries.

What do candidates think of this? Is free software "going well"? Is it
going to go "better" or "worse" in forthcoming years? Why?

Then, if you think free software is not at its best at present, what do
you think Debian could do to help? At a glance, Debian seems to have
always done one thing (distributing free software) and has done so
relatively well. Is that enough for current and future free software
challenges? Or should we change to better face those challenges?

Many thanks in advance for your answers,
Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .