Re: discouraging discussion styles - any cure?

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 02:15:14PM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> [2012-03-13 14:11:30 CET]:
> > On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 09:40:35AM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> > > and there are also people who fight for their right to behave like
> > > assholes and belittle scathingly against people that wish for a better
> > > communication style.
> >
> > This, I agree, should not be acceptable behaviour. I hope you're not
> > categorizing me as someone who would do that ;-)
>
>  Not at all, but I have seen such behavior every now and then,
> especially when discussion about Enrico's community guidelines popped
> up, people harshly defended their right for "free speach", so to say,
> and it wasn't the only occation (have received quite some hateful
> messages over time for my wish to have a better discussion style within
> the project).
>
>  But this is also part of:
>
> > In addition, one of the things I've been considering is to lead a
> > discussion on an overhaul of our code of conduct. I think our current
> > CoC isn't really working, since it's outdated in parts, irrelevant in
> > others, and ignored by many people in the parts that actually matter.
>
>  ... the CoC being ignored.  In so many ways, both by people actively
> ignoring it, and no real actions about "rule breakers" (unless they
> crossed the line for next to everyone over a long period of time
> already, which is, IMNSHO, way too late).
>
>  So how do you envision an overhaul of the CoC could work to not be
> ignored just again?

A mailinglist code of conduct should be about actual conduct on
mailinglists, not about "don't use format X to send your mail" or "don't
send automated vacation messages"[1].

There are things in Enrico's community guidelines that I think make
sense for a code of conduct. Parts of
http://people.debian.org/~enrico/dcg/ch02s04.html, for instance. It
would need to be rephrased to sound less like a HOWTO and more like an
actual code of conduct, but I think the principles are sound (in fact, a
few years ago I was writing up something similar when I first saw that
document and decided that it contained everything I wanted to write, and
more).

If a code of conduct is about actual conduct rather than "go fix your
mail client", I think it stands a far better chance of being adhered to.
Technical things, like "large attachments" and "HTML mails" can probably
be rejected by a simple filter on the listserver, if we're not already
doing that.

[1] While I agree that some things (such as attachments or HTML
    messages) don't have a place on our mailinglist, I'm not sure a code
    of conduct is necessarily the right place to discourage them.

[...]
>  So indeed, like Stefano mentioned, a "sorry, was wound up", "was wrong
> in my judgement" from the people who are misbehaving would help a lot to
> get things into better shape, but those are still the few exceptions,
> unfortunately.

Yeah, definitely.

the following formula:

pi zz a