Re: Finding sponsors for Debian

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:09:09AM +0200, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> Well, most of the Debian monetary assets are held by SPI, and the SPI
> reports their assets publicly (the board meeting minutes), so this
> isn't a huge problem. It would be nice if the auditors would release a
> public yearly summary, though.

That used to be the case, but is no longer true. See for instance my
report about Debian finances (and sprints) at DebConf11:

  http://upsilon.cc/~zack/talks/2011/201107-dc11-money.pdf

back then we had more money at FFIS than SPI. A temporary justification
of that is that DebConf11 has been in the European continent but:

1) DebConf moves around and might bring with it similar fluctuations
   periodically

2) even at present, after the post-DebConf finance stabilization, the
   ratio of Debian money is something like 60% at SPI and 40% at FFIS
   (and used to be more close before the recent acquisition of expensive
   hardware on FFIS money)

The fact that SPI reports publicly and periodicly about their assets
does mitigate our money transparency problem. But it is far from solving
it.

Cheers.