Re: call for vote - welcome non-packaging contributors as project members

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 09:52:54AM +0200, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:
> On 02-10-2010 23:20, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 01:07:57AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > [...]
> >> The Debian project, therefore, invites the Debian Account Managers to:
> > [...]
> >> * Establish procedures to evaluate and accept contributors of
> >>   non-packaging work as Debian Developers.
> >
> > Reading this, I understand with this GR we would be accepting in advance
> > whatever procedure DAM consider appropriate to accept contributors of
> > non-packaging work as Debian Developers.
>
> 	Isn't the case already?  I mean, DAM can change that
> procedure at any time, sure we can have a GR to revert it, but
> there wouldn't be a difference from what is already in place,
> they get to decide how people get "full Debian membership".

Exactly, so if DAM can already change that anytime and they have already
shown they would like to accept non-packaging DD, then what is this GR for?
Yes, I know it is to see if the project members agree to have
non-packagers contributors, then why we need the DAM bit there?

> > I have not read all the discussion thread, but it seems there is already
> > a rough idea of how this will be done. It would be a very good idea and
> > I would be very grateful if an email, with the general plan of how this
> > will be implemented, is sent before the voting period begins.
>
> 	IMHO, it may be giving the false impression that this GR
> is attached with some specific procedure and it is not.  The GR
> is just a matter of state it clear, as a project, that we encourage
> and accept members that are not code (or packaging) contributors,
> how they'll be accepted is a different matter, shouldn't be impacted
> by the rules and I do trust (and expect) DAMs (and NM FrontDesk)
> will clearly communicate changes on this matter.

I understand this GR as: DAM team, go ahead and establish the procedure
you think is the best. You assume there will be a discussion, I don't,
because we are not asking them to discuss, we asking them to implement what
they think is appropiate. That is why I asked an email from DAM
about what to expect.

Don't read me wrong, I *want* non-packaging DD, but with the current
wording, looks like if you want non-packaging DDs, you must accept in
advance they will be handled according to a unknown procedure. I feel
some people when faced with this option will vote no.
Sure we can override DAM later with a GR, but we clearly do not want that.

If the text were something like: "inviting DAM to start a discussion in the
project about the procedures to to evaluate and accept contributors of
non-packaging work as Debian Developers", it would be different.

Ana