call for vote - welcome non-packaging contributors as project members

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 05:53:46PM +0900, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Of all those topics, one topic *might* have consensus already: accepting
> as DDs contributors which have contributed a lot to Debian doing
> non-packaging work, which intend to continue doing so, and which are
> ready to uphold our Foundation Documents.
<snip>
> here is the draft GR I'm hereby introducing:

Since the minimum discussion period is now over and since no new
amendments have been proposed, I'm hereby calling for a vote.

It is my understanding that the current wording of the GR is the
following:

The Debian project aims at producing the best free operating system.
To that end, the project benefits from various types of contributions,
including, but not limited to: package maintenance, translations,
infrastructure and website maintenance, porting, bug triaging and
fixing, management activities, communication, testing, legal advice,
quality assurance, etc.

The Debian project acknowledges that:

* To pursue Debian goals, package maintenance as well as a wide range of
  other technical and non-technical contributions are all valuable.

* Active contributors of non-packaging work, who share Debian values
  and are ready to uphold Debian Foundation Documents, deserve the
  opportunity to become Debian Developers.

The Debian project, therefore, invites the Debian Account Managers to:

* Endorse the idea that contributors of non-packaging work might become
  Debian Developers, albeit without upload access to the Debian archive.

* Establish procedures to evaluate and accept contributors of
  non-packaging work as Debian Developers.

* Initiate the appropriate technical measures to enable contributors of
  non-packaging work, who get accepted as Debian Developers, to
  participate in Debian decision making and to access Debian
  infrastructure.

A corresponding ballot might look like the following:

[   ] Choice 1: Welcome non-packaging contributors as project members
[   ] Choice 2: Further discussion

Cheers

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams