Re: DM vote (was Re: Debian Project Leader Election 2010 Results)

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 08:06:57PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> | 2010 |  886 | 44.648 |   459 |    436 |      88 | 49.210 |   9.76513 |
>
> If I count right, there are 112 Debian Maintainers not able to be represented
> in the above.
>
> I wonder if conducting a parallel vote of the DMs, for information only,
> would be worth doing next year? It would be interesting to
> see a) how many DMs care about being enfranchised enough to vote
> and b) how closely their preferences match to those of the DDs.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

> Alternatively, if the DM vote were run during the first week of the real
> (2 week) vote, results could be announced in time for DDs to incorporate
> the data into their own votes.

Please don't do that, it would skew the results of the vote.

People who would generally vote similar to what the outcome of the DM
vote suggests would feel less motivation to vote; people who would
generally vote differently to that outcome would have more of such a
motivation; people who feel somewhat negative about a candidate who does
well in the DM vote might rank this candidate lower.

All of the above combined, the final outcome of the DD vote would have a
tendency towards the opposite of the DM vote.

trying to fool the system.