Re: Question about membership.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 09:17:44AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Following the ‘Membership procedures’ GR, discussion on membership
> were started after the Lenny release, but eventually stopped. In this
> thread it was proposed to trust DDs to nominate other members and I
> found the idea very interesting.  In order to make it more consensual,
> there is probably a need for making concessions like shortlisting the
> trusted DDs according to some criteria like the time they have already
> spent in the project. I would actually be tempted to propose a more
> variable but more symbolic measurment of time: having been part of the
> project for at least one full release cycle.

I don't think this will help, at all.

The DM procedure allows people to upload packages after just one Debian
Developer has advocated them. This is a good way for people without full
developer status to cooperate on Debian.

Giving people full developer status should not be something we go over
lightly. I happen to know that frontdesk and the DAM do not mind a
'lightweight' T&S part of the NM procedure for those people who have
shown exceptional skill.

However, I don't think we should reduce on the P&P part of NM. We do not
wish people to join the project who do not understand what 'free
software' means.

[...]
trying to fool the system.