Re: Q for the Candidates: How many users?

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> writes:
> > Anthony Towns wrote:
>
> >>   * popcon.debian.org currently reports 91,523 submissions,
> >>   * popcon.ubuntu.com currently reports 1,493,440 submissions, and
> >>   * that this is something of a trick question,

[…]

> We're running somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 Debian stable
> servers. I'm afraid running popcon on them is a non-starter so far due
> to concerns about information exposure. When this was previously
> discussed on debian-devel, it became clear that we're far from the
> only ones in that situation.

Right. One possible explanation for such a low popcon result for Debian
is that those who are concerned about popcon exposure also want fine
control in many other areas, including support for many
marginally-popular packages, and so selectively prefer Debian. Those
hosts would therefore not show up on either list.

Other explanations are possible, of course.

--
 \       “Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except |
  `\        for that rare story of which you happen to have first-hand |